Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automated Backup Script (OpenSource)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Re: Automated Backup Script (OpenSource)

thanks for reporting the error. I think I have identified the problem and have made a change to the program, this should automatically update the next time you start the program.

Comment

update fixed issue, works great on windows server 2008 r2, and windows 7

Comment

Webpage for Backup for CommitCRM:
        http://www.smartitsupport.com/misc-p...-for-commitcrm

Comment

I don't think that SmartIT's backup software is getting enough attention. We have been using it for about a month now, and recently setup the scheduled task with amazing results. This is ESSENTIAL in any business - with CommitCRM not having an automated backup system built-in, these guys have released their internally developed software, no doubt they developed for internal use, but to release it for FREE to other businesses, that is just a very classy and MUCH APPRECIATED move guys. I want to give a virtual hand-shake to all of you guys at Smart I.T. Support in Earls House, Earlsway all the way from the other side of the globe in Missouri, USA.

Commit, in my opinion, this software is something I would put in the wiki, with its own area for automated backup, this is something we use every day with very successful results. Again, thanks guys, and thanks CommitCRM for everything else, including allowing the SmartIT guys and others to develop aroundCommitCRM.

http://www.smartitsupport.com/misc-p...-for-commitcrm

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you find it useful.

I agree, I think it would be a great idea if CommitCRM gave this program more attention and mentioned it in the wiki or recommended it to other users. We have put a lot of work into the program and have offered it free to other users - we'd like other users to be made aware of it so they can benefit from it too.

CommitCRM if anyone's reading this, how about a mention in the wiki, newsletter, link on the main website, or any other suggestions?

Comment

SmartIT,

I'm not really seeing any specifics on what your program does. I see that it backs up the specified CommitCRM folders but is it also shutting down the CommitCRM services on the server and if so is it also starting them back up again when the backup completes?

Comment

Yes the program shuts down the commitCRM before backing up, when run both manually and as scheduled, as advised byCommitCRM. Once the backup has finished CommitCRM services are started again.

The program can also notify you by email on error or successful backup.

Backups can also be uploaded to a remote server via FTP and, as mentioned, scheduled - just set it and forget it and if there's a problem it will email you.

You can see more info at http://www.smartitsoftware.co.uk/pro...-for-commitcrm

Comment

Thanks for your feedback and comments. We've also heard that this is a very nice and useful program. We are thinking about opening a third-party section on our main Web site that will list different programs that integrate with or enhance RangerMSP.

Thanks,
                  Dina

Comment

We currently use it to backup all out data, (we run SQL) as a scheduled task, and works prefect. The program goes through and disables all CommitCRM services, runs through the backup script, and then notifies myself and 1 other of success or failure, so far everything has been successful.

Comment

...but since CommitCRM (as of 5.6) can backup their database without stopping the services, it seems like this utility and the original open source script listed on this thread is a little out dated, right? I have Commits backup utility running with the windows task scheduler, and it is working great. ...but maybe that's just for SQL versions?

Comment

I'm not sure about the sql version of CommitCRM as we do not use that, but it was built and tested against CommitCRM 5.6 so I wouldn't say it was outdated.

Obviously you can choose to use whatever backup solution you wish, this is just another option with a few additional features and easy to use gui we thought we'd make available to other CommitCRM users. If you'd rather use the other solution that's your choice.

Comment

Oh, don't take it personally, just asking... Just looked @ the wiki, and it looks like the Live Backup is only for SQL... anyway, looks like a nice utility for anyone that isn't on the SQL version!

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks to SmartIT for sharing this with the community. Very useful and user friendly tool ;)

Comment

I need to fully understand the backup process... we do have the commitsql version so I have set up a scheduled task to backup the database 10 minutes before out server backup systems kick off. My question is that the "CommitBackup.exe CommitCRMLiveSQLBackup" command only backs up the database... when we run the full server backup it then grabs this zip file along with all the other files (documents, emails, etc.). The problem seems to be that in a restore situation, the backup could be corrupt becuase the "CommitBackup.exe CommitCRMLiveSQLBackup" zip file may not account for activity (files/emails etc.) that happen inbetween... basically an inconsistant state.

thoughts?

//ray

Comment

oh, and 8+ on the VSS integration... having CommitCRM fully VSS integrated would solve ALL of these backup problems!

thanks --

//ray

Comment

Working...
                                X