X

• Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Re: Can RangerMSP be run via VPN?

Hi All,

Thanks for your input.

Here's some more relevant information -

Using server-based virtual PCs or server based remote-sessions (such as Terminal Services and LogMeIn to your server) requires using the server-based SQL version of RangerMSP (click here for more info). Working without SQL Database with such remote server-based sessions is not supported and might cause unexpected issues, including database corruption :-(

In order to use the system correctly with such sessions you should be using SQL Database. Besides server-based remote sessions, SQL Database also offers many other advantages, it increases performance and makes your entire system more robust. We also recommend on using it when your business grows and the volume of database transactions increases.

Sherry

Comment

Re: Can CommitCRM be run via VPN?

I have the SQL version of CommitCRM - I may give VPN with it a shot and report back. I'm assuming it's not too chatty being SQL, but there are never any guarantees. I find CommitCRM to be fairly well written and small, so I'm fairly sure it would work better than the standard database.

Comment

Just some more details regarding this -

RangerMSP client is actually not installed on each PC. This is one of the nicest things about RangerMSP - it is simple. Nothing is actually being installed on each client PC and all you have on the local PC is a shortcut to <server>\RangerMSP\Client\RangerMSP.exe.
        This makes the system easy to maintain and very easy to install without any conflicts what so ever on each local PC, as nothing is being modified/changed/installed on the local PC.

This has some significance however when you want to use RangerMSP client over VPN (directly, without a remote control session). The main point is that it takes much longer to load. Once you double click the RangerMSP icon on your desktop the entire executable file and all related dll's needs to be loaded to the local PC. This takes almost no time on your LAN, however, over a VPN this may take longer. This is one of the reasons why we state that it is not optimized to be used over VPN without remote sessions.

Once loaded, the system will work much better with SQL Database than without it, as much less network communication is required - most database processing is done at the server-side and only results are sent back to the client (unlike the non-SQL edition which performs all database transactions over the network).

I hope this sheds some light on this. We do have some items on our to-do list which should make it 100% optimized when used over VPN with SQL. The RangerMSP system is really optimized and uses resources very carefully (see how small the entire setup program is...), however, there is some more work that needs to be done until we will officially announce that it completely optimized for VPN use.

Sherry

Comment

Hey Sherry -

You guys wouldn't be working on a .NET version of your client that can sync over the WAN would you? :) That's our biggest item on our internal CommitCRM wishlist. :)

Comment

RangerMSP client runs on any Windows based PC without any special requirements, (including no requirements for specific version of .Net). We would like to keep it this way. It makes everything much easier to setup and maintain.

That said, there are different ways to implement using the client in WAN configuration, and this is on our radar. Thanks for the feedback.

Sherry

Comment

cjezell,

What do you use for virtual PC software? I planned to use LogMeIn, but that would limit to one session. I'd love to know what is working for you. Thanks!

Comment

I've run it successfully over a VPN (the non SQL version) but as you say it takes a long time to load and it is also very slow when updating record data. Mind you I was on a slow ADSL connection when doing it. It's got me out of trouble though, as I can't yet afford the SQL version (and the upgrade to version 5).

Comment

Easy Remote Access:
                  I setup virtualization and it works great (thanks cjezel)! I setup VMware's free server on the same box as the Windows CommitCRM server with a few virtual servers. Install CommitCRM and LogMeIn on each and your remote techs are ready to go! Use LogMeIn's Desktop Shortcut to access the box in a snap (1-click with free, LastPass browser plugin). Hope this works for others.

Comment

That is a great solution actually. I wouldnt use LogMeIn personally, I'd use RDP with the router redirecting ports for the RDP session to the relevant virtual XP machine. Nice one, i'm going to give this a shot.

Comment

19-Jan-2009 "hope this sheds some light on this. We do have some items on our to-do list which should make it 100% optimized when used over VPN with SQL" -Commit

-- Any progress on this? Any tricks, like copy the exe's dll's and hlp files to a folder on the local machine to speed up access?

Comment

you are joking right? It's only been just over 3 years since this promise. It normally takes them double this assuming everyone continues pestering them for the fix :) report back in a few more years.

Comment

Well, despite @danoli's sarcasm it is already possible for quite a long time now. It can be implemented when using SQL.
                          Please contact us by email for further information.

Comment

Touched a nerve...

All joking aside, it still requires the expensive SQL upgrade and still runs the executables via the server.

Updates for common customer requests do take a while so while I 'was' a little sarcastic, I am not too far from the truth.

Comment

Using SQL is optional. It does add and offer many technology related benefits. We also believe that it is offered for an affordable price. But, I guess that price discussions are always subjective.
                              More details on SQL can be found here and about its pricing here

Comment

"Well, despite @danoli's sarcasm it is already possible for quite a long time now. It can be implemented when using SQL. "

then next post....... "Using SQL is optional."

Which is it? Do we need SQL or not? Can you post here how it is done for all to see?

Comment

Working...
                                X