No announcement yet.

Can CommitCRM be run via VPN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Re: Can CommitCRM be run via VPN?

I can report the recent update (5.7 or 5.6) does run better over a vpn. The real variable is the connection speed. We tested it over a 30/30mbps channel and it works flawlessly.

We cant afford that so we are using a vmware setup with 6 xp vmmachines that we use rdc to connect to.

Not the best, solution but that run just fine.

Using vpn over our regular 10/2 is ok, but slooooow. But still faster than before the upgrade to 5.6. Im sure it is the upload that makes it slow.

Using wirespeed, i think we determined it would run just fine over a 6/6 (4xT1) but we cant afford that either.

vmware was much cheaper than 4t'1s so we went with that.

Comment

Re: Can RangerMSP be run via VPN?

To danoli's request here's a clarification:

SQL is always optional.

To enjoy some of the technology related benefits it offers, like using the client over VPN as asked above, you will need to have it.

Having said that, we still recommend using remote sessions over VPN and not to simply run RangerMSP client locally over VPN. Both options require SQL.

For more information please contact us directly.

Comment

Thank you @nattivillin for sharing this info.

Comment

So you are saying to operate CommitCRM across WAN links or slower LAN links we need to use SQL via a VPN link or to use VMWare sessions?

Comment

We're saying that to use RangerMSP Windows client remotely (e.g. not in your LAN) SQL is required. This is the case whether you use it over remote sessions to your remote server (Terminal Services, etc.) or run the Windows client locally on your remote PC while being connected to your office network over VPN.

While there are benefits of using SQL on your LAN (even if you never connect remotely), it is still optional. For what it worth, SQL can always be added and all your data, settings and customizations are reserved.

Comment

Just to clarify;

Not sure required is the right term when using with RDC. I think we are not being specific enough.

If you have CommitCRM installed on your server and you try to use it while being connected via RDC it will not run. It tells you you must upgrade to sql, yada-yada.

If you have CommitCRM installed on a local workstation, then connect to that workstation with RDC, and then run commit, i am pretty sure it does work. This method just takes up an entire workstation with all the energy and space that that requires. But since it does work, it led us to the following;

If you virtualize that workstation and run it in vmware or vbox, that also works without using the SQL upgrade.

Comment

I think i should add this is setup may not be support by CommitCRM. From the server it sees all vmware workstations as being reqular workstation on the lan. As do all out other software like QB which we also run rdc.

I haven't been fully convinced of the benefit of the SQL upgrade. As others have said, it is very costly.

Maybe someone who is using the SQL upgrade can shed some light on this.

Comment

cheers @nattvillin, exactly what I thought, so the answer is that CommitCRM does not work without either SQL or VMWare (or some other virtulization)

Running CommitCRM across a 'slow link' still requires the CommitCRM clients to execute the main executable and pull DLL's across the wire.

To CommitSupport... When will (if ever) CommitCRM support a true local client that runs on the Client machine not from the server to allow or minimise the data traffic to pure data only?

Comment

@danoli - with SQL this can already be achieved.

Currently we do not have any plans to support this configuration with the non-SQL edition.

Comment

Does it run the executables/dll's across the wire or on the local machine?

Comment

Is that the main benefit of using the SQL? Each machine now runs CommitCRM locally and only send the changes over the wire? That would make the VPN work well with much less bandwidth. That would also make CommitCRM much faster even on the lan.

How much bandwidth is required per user using the SQL upgrade?

I would love to stop using the vmware solution, its adds another thing to maintain and upgrade. I could presuppose those XP licenses for other uses. as well.

Comment

@nattivillin
                          I suspect not, although I would be happy if this is the case.

I suspect the answer is, SQL uses less bandwidth for data queries, queries are handled server side, but EXE and DLL's are still 'dragged' slooowly from the server...

I so hope I am wrong though :)

Comment

The good news are that @danoli is wrong :-)
                            With SQL you can have a local copy (e.g. on your local PC) of all executable/dll files.

Comment

That is an eye opener.

The cost is still steep. The CommitCRM modules require one sql account so with 5 actual users, we need a 10 pack right?

Is there an SQL trial?
                              Is it easy to switch to and from sybase SQL if we are not impressed with it?

Comment

Wow, well why didn't you announce it clearly? This thread has been open over 3 years!

Comment

Working...
                                X