No announcement yet.

Web Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Re: Web Interface

I changed the CommitCRM configuration to the servers ip and i can log in from any of the company pc's. (i only tried 3 but, each from different offices). Where do we set up this dns entry?

Comment

Thanks for the update. As it works on your LAN it should work on your WAN as well once port forwarding and dns are set up correctly.

You should first define the DNS setting on your LAN server and on each of the remote sites servers (or just one if all remote sites share a DNS server) - the name should always translate to the server where RangerMSP Web Interface is installed, locally - it will translate to a local IP address, and on remote sites it will translate to external IP address of the server.

Once the name entry is set up correctly (check with nslookup from local and remote sites), change the RangerMSPWebInterface.ini file and replace the IP address with a name - RangerMSP.mydomain.com. Restart the service and perform tests, first locally and then remotely.

Let us know how it goes.
      Ethan

Comment

I'm confused by the suggested configuration. If we access the web interface locally, then we can leave the settings like they are. If we want employees / customers to be able to access the web interface from the web, then we can setup a sub domain with a A record to point to our external IP. if we change the internal DNS servers to point to our own server, we are essentially reverse translating the name because netbios already resolves ip to name. The only way to change the internet dns servers to find us with commitcrm.mydomain.com is with a change at our domain registrar right?

Comment

With your registrar set it to the external IP address - so everyone will be able to find and reach your server from anywhere (including remote sites if they have standard Internet access, which they probably do).

However, you should overwrite these settings (for this specific sub-domain) on your LAN (where the server is) and have it translated to the local IP address of the server, not the external one, so LAN access to the Web interface will not need to go through the Internet as the server is located on the same network (you want your LAN PCs to go directly to the server).

I hope this makes sense.

Ethan

Comment

we have created a subdomain with our registrar and set it to redirect to our external IP with the :4961 port , and this doesnt seem to be working. Are we doing something incorrect with GoDaddy?

Our site is not hosted on our boxes here, we used a reseller but a redirect from the registrar shouldnt matter correct? If I type in the IP and port number in my browser it comes up fine...

Comment

gshepherd, if you ping the subdomain (name.yourdomain.com), does it resolve to the same IP you are typing in?

Comment

gshepherd,

Are you trying to redirect a domain name through your registrar's DNS like CommitCRM.domain.com to an IP address and port like xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4961? Or are you saying you have a web page setup on a site someplace that when you go to http:// CommitCRM.domain.com it forwards to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4961?

I think we need some more information to help.

Comment

CommitCRM Team,

CommitCRM is a great app, but the limitation on not using port 80 is very disappointing. Since its good enough to be customer facing, I would love to be able to have a simple URL for our customers to use (i.e. no port numbers). I STRONGLY advise you to repair this issue and allow port 80 to be used. After all, you access port 443 connections for HTTPS, so why not port 80 for HTTP?

Comment

Hi AlexAtALCON,

Thanks for your feedback on this. I know that the port numbers a limited in this way due to a technical limitation, however, this feedback has come up in the past and we will try to look into this again in the future. Thanks for bringing this up here.

Note that at the moment, rather than send your customers to the URL with the special port number, you can embed the web interface login page into your website. You can do this in one of the following ways:

Option 1 - sets a link that loads the RangerMSP web interface default login page.

Option 2 - allows you to use your own customized login page within your web site.

Please review this user manual page which precisely describes these options.

I hope this can help!

Sheli

Comment

I would like to add my voice calling for the removal of the port 80 restriction. As far as I know one port is as good as another technically speaking. Any assignments or restrictions are simply a matter of convention.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback on this.
                        I've added your vote to this feature request, as well as your comments.

Regards,
                        Reno Breen

Comment

Hi All,

We use a workaround to allow us to use port 80 (ie just CommitCRM.domain.com ). REDIRECTION -

We have IIS running on the same server and have a virtual site (with host header value for CommitCRM.domain.com) then for the home directory settings simple redirect it to CommitCRM.domain.com:4961

Allows for us to just type CommitCRM.domain.com and then it automatically redirects to CommitCRM.domain.com:4961

Cheers,
                          Jeremy

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for posting this workaround.
                            We'd like to take some time to test this; and if this checks out, we'd really like to make an article for this topic, for our knowledge base.

Thanks again for the help.

Reno Breen

Comment

Working...
                            X