No announcement yet.

CommitCRM Desktop Client, VPN & SQL DB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
Clear All

CommitCRM Desktop Client, VPN & SQL DB

Yes, I haven't forgotten about the web interface. I appreciate it for what it is, but let's face it: it doesn't measure up to using the desktop client. Maybe it will get there, but it isn't there yet.

My question is: I understand that using CommitCRM as it with the DB structure that it ships with will not perform with any satisfaction over a VPN; however, if I would purchase the SQL database license, would that enable CommitCRM to perform satisfactorily over a VPN?

Thank you,

Luke Popejoy

Re: CommitCRM Desktop Client, VPN & SQL DB

Good question - I'd like to know the answer as well so we could consider using Hamachi to connect back to the office server and run CommitCRM over that.

Comment

FunctionOne: What we do is connect back to the office using LogMeIn. If you are running the Zenith agent on your in house machines you get LMI for free. CommitCRM works perfectly under LMI and we can access it straight from a clients machine.

Comment

True - but our techs work from home and I don't want them accessing the server from LMI. I was hoping we could get CommitCRM working over VPN from their laptops.

Comment

Re: RangerMSP Desktop Client, VPN & SQL DB

Hi guys, thank you for your comments and feedback.

Right now, using RangerMSP over VPN provides the best performance results when working over remote access technologies, such as Remote Desktop. You can also use Terminal Services on a central server, which require the SQL version.

Note that when using the SQL Database , this provides better performance on your local network and makes your entire RangerMSP system much more robust, however, working remotely still requires using Terminal Services or similar technologies in order to receive the best performance results.

We're definitely looking forward to optimizing our remote access infrastructure so it achieves the best performance results when working directly over VPN (i.e. without using remote desktop and the like). I added your feedback to this request in our requests lists and I believe this will up the priority for this option. Thanks.

Ethan

Comment

Thanks - enhanced VPN access would be nice, but, personally, I think I would like to see you but your development time elsewhere. There are other features that would provide more usability - at least for my company.

Is there a place where people can go to "vote" on features? That might be nice so that you guys would know where to focus your dev time.

Thanks,

Luke Popejoy

Comment

Hey Luke - this was a feature I suggested awhile back - I agree - having a way to vote on various features would allow the CommitCRM team to get a true gauge of community interest. A lot of folks will never post a comment or response - but they'll surely be comfortable with clicking a 'thumbs up or thumbs down' type voting system.

Comment

I third the "vote" idea. It's a simple applet that can be added to the forum here (well, simple if it plugs in easily!), and I'd really like to see what is on the drawing board forCommitCRM.

I love CommitCRM at the moment, but I want to make sure we don't outgrow it. It's an excellent base product, but our needs are growing more complex as each week goes by, and some of the larger PSA programs like ConnectWise turn our heads from time to time.

Comment

Re: RangerMSP Desktop Client, VPN & SQL DB

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Generally, we have a good idea of what our clients want because we receive a lot of email feedback and forum feedback like this one. We keep track of requests and prioritize them according to popularity and other criteria such as time to implement, will it make the system easier or more complex, etc. As mentioned above, I agree that clicking a 'thumbs up or thumbs down' type voting system may help folks who will never post a comment or response and they'll be more comfortable with this. Good suggestion.

Sherry

Comment

Working...
                  X