No announcement yet.

Exchange Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
Clear All

Exchange Support

Out of curiosity, why does CommitCRM not support Exchange activesync? We're IT providers, we all use Exchange and the current Outlook sync is a joke. My techs live in Outlook/Exchange, it syncs with their phones, desktop, laptop, etc... sure would be nice if I didn't hear them cursing CommitCRM because an appointment or contact didn't sync up.

Re: Exchange Support

...or because the sync pops up when you are in the middle of a remote support session, typing a Word document, or any other random thing...

Comment

I agree. We didn't buy the outlook connector because if it seems half-baked.

Comment

Good question. We have this request already for quite some time. Open RangerMSP client on your server, set it to Auto-Sync for other employees and it'll sync their calendars stored on Exchange on the server side without you seeing the message (as you won't be using this client yourself but it'll rather be running on the server).
        For what it worth it doesn't consume a RangerMSP license when you do that. No, it's not perfect but it works and will sync with your Exchange behind the scenes. We are always looking at this but tend to develop other stuff that is simply more popular of non-existing in comparison to a not-perfect yet somewhat workable solution.

I hope that we will get to it in the future.
        Thanks,
        Dina

Comment

Interesting. I'll give that a try.

Comment

I assume this means we need Outlook installed on the server as I'm getting a class error?

Comment

I assumed correctly. You need to also add all the mailboxes to the account. Would be nicer if there was an actual Exchange Sync service :)

Comment

not exactly outlook sync but there's a third party solution with apps for windows, iphoney and doid based phones that allows folks to use CommitCRM directly... not sure if the calendars show up in that interface but it's worth a look-see... someone else with a memory can chime in and let us know what that 3rd party app/connector is.

I've been hoping for a self contained service based exchange sync for a while... thought that's what I was getting when we purchased the outlook sync stuff but as it it (has to run as an app and outlook needs to be intstalled on the server, etc.) is, it's not something we use. I fact, we don't use the dispatcher at all because of this failure to properly integrate with exchange... (!)

cheers --

//ray

Comment

Hey Commit, I am not understanding fully how this works. Can you please provide a step-by-step guide for this? I have CommitCRM running on our server, outlook 2010 installed on same server, both open, now where do i setup so CommitCRM will sync all users. i cant point CommitCRM sync to each user with it open on 1 user... thoughts?

Comment

First step would be that all users will log into their RangerMSP and select the Exchange folder to sync with (Tools > Options > Outlook). They should also select the option to allow other users to sync their data.
                    Then, log into the server using a Windows user that has All access rights and All privileges to access All other employees Exchange folders. Actually you should verify this once by opening Outlook, navigating to each of the other employees Calendar folders and add/edit/delete a "dummy" appointment.
                    The last step would be to log into RangerMSP and select Tools > Synchronize Outlook > Auto Sync > Sync to Others > (select the sync interval).
                    This will start syncing other employees data.

I hope this helps.
                    Dina

Comment

Commit,

We cant afford to keep buying SQL licenses! Because of the web interface and labtech we now only have the ability to have 3 users logged in at a time, so we are looking at purchasing another round of SQL licenses. The problem I see with leaving something running on the server is yet another license being used... I really think that an exchange solution would be the answer... Connectwise and Autotask both have them... Come on!

Austin Speer
                      Onward ITC

Comment

Correct, using services, clients, third-parties etc. that integrates or uses RangerMSP do consume SQL database connections...
                        Adding a pack of 5 SQL connections is currently $299 (for all 5). One time. Perpetual. For AT and CW you will be paying a lot more $$$$$...

In any case, your vote for been added and we appreciate it.

Thanks!

Comment

how do we keep each users account from syncing on their local stations, so that only the server syncs the users mailboxes?

Comment

I'm not sure that I'm 100% following you here but I'll try to provide some relevant info - users can sync from their client PC in parallel. While you cannot block it there is no reason that I see that you should block it. If they want to sync Now let them sync. As we're looking at central databases (Exchange and RangerMSP) data that has been synced once (on the client or server) will not be synced again unless the Calendar data has been updated since the last sync.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Comment

it does, but we have 2 front station computers we use also that we do not want to setup for sync. they do not have outlook configured so these computers will not sync, but we still want the server running the sync.

we basically want ONLY the server to sync, not the users' desktops.

Comment

Working...
                              X